Location:Home > slippers > Melissa Allan stood with her bull mastiff pitbull

Melissa Allan stood with her bull mastiff pitbull

Time:2018-11-27 16:42Shoes websites Click:

Need homes charred left ruins

 

 Melissa Allan stood with her bull mastiff pitbull

Lowell Thanksgiving blaze left homes charred ruins, dozens in need

By Amaris Castillo, acastillo@lowellsun.com

Updated:   11/24/2018 12:58:00 AM EST


Lowell Deputy Fire Chief Mark McGuane examines the porch at 22 Arthur St. in freezing weather Friday after Thursday night’s fire. Officials called

Lowell Deputy Fire Chief Mark McGuane examines the porch at 22 Arthur St. in freezing weather Friday after Thursday night's fire. Officials called that building and a home at 35 Shaw St. total losses; a third home, at 20 Arthur St., sustained damage. The blaze displaced more than two dozen residents. (SUN / CHRIS LISINSKI)

LOWELL -- Only the morning after the blaze could you clearly see the devastation.

The light yellow home at 24 Arthur St. was charred with some of its windows broken. Sunlight poured into the partially collapsed roof and onto an interior covered in soot. Two small mismatched shoes and a flip-flop sandal lay on the front steps, frozen in ice from the water firefighters blasted the night before.

Firefighters on Thanksgiving night battled cold and frozen equipment during the fire on Shaw and Arthur streets that left two dozen people homeless. It was unclear Friday morning where the displaced residents went.

One firefighter was taken to a hospital with smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.

Firefighters survey the damage to an Arthur Street home in Lowell on Friday, the morning after a blaze displaced more than two dozen residents.

Firefighters survey the damage to an Arthur Street home in Lowell on Friday, the morning after a blaze displaced more than two dozen residents. (SUN / CHRIS LISINSKI)

No cause had been determined by officials as of Friday. Fire investigators from the city and state were on scene. Lowell Deputy Fire Chief Mark McGuane said investigators would be working through the buildings to try to determine a cause.

"But as you can see, it's going to be a daunting task," McGuane said as he peered up at the home at 24 Arthur St. "There's a lot of destruction and a lot of the evidence may be covered up, but they'll do their best."

Crews were called first to 35 Shaw St. about 5:35 p.m. Thursday for a report of a fire, but the first firefighters to arrive on the scene told dispatchers there was smoke and fire showing from a home behind that address at 22 Arthur St.

Advertisement

A second alarm was quickly struck as flames shot out of the 2 1/2-story home at Arthur and Sagamore streets. According to Fire Chief Jeffrey Winward, the homes at 35 Shaw St. and 22 Arthur St. were a total loss; a third home, at 20 Arthur St., also suffered damage.

Winward told The Sun on Thursday that firefighters had to put water on a fourth home to keep it from catching fire due to embers landing on it.

According to city officials, more than two dozen residents of the three homes were displaced. City officials said those residents were given vouchers for temporary lodging in area hotels.

Friday morning, two men and two women who were huddled together behind crime-scene tape spoke to an official from across the street.

Shortly before 11 a.m., Melissa Allan stood with her bull mastiff pitbull, Halo, near the scene. She brought her dog out to walk but paused to take in the destruction. Allan, who lives in an apartment complex nearby, said her fiance, Thomas Anderson, woke her up Thursday when he saw the fire.

Allan said she felt "terror" at seeing the blaze engulf the homes. She described the residents who live in one of the houses as "nice people" with young boys.

"It was scary. It was very scary.

An SUV covered in ice sits Friday in front of 22 Arthur St. in Lowell, where a Thursday night fire displaced more than two dozen residents.

An SUV covered in ice sits Friday in front of 22 Arthur St. in Lowell, where a Thursday night fire displaced more than two dozen residents. (SUN / CHRIS LISINSKI)

It was so close," Allan said. "I don't know how a fire like that starts. It was so bright. It was like lighting up the house. It was so scary. It was so big."

When she headed back to bed, Allan said she made sure her oven was off and there was nothing in it.

"The last thing you think about when you go to sleep is 'Am I going to wake up to a fire?'" she said. "It's very scary when it's so close to home."

Copyright infringement? Click Here!